A genetic counselor is trained in human genetics and genetic counseling. The concentration in genetic counseling helps patients adjust to the information they are given.
They inquire with the patient about personal and family medical history. A genetic counselor may be able to tell them:
- Risk of certain genes or conditions
- Choices the patient has about whether to get genetic testing
- Chances of passing a genetic disorder to their child
- Options and risks of genetic testing for the patient, a family member or an unborn child
- Benefits of telling their family about an inherited disorder
- How inherited disorders may affect the patient and patient's family